Refrigerator Ice-maker Water Damage
• 73% of water damages involving a refrigerator ice-maker were caused by the failure of the supply line hose.
• 10% of episodes involved new refrigerators and were associated to improper installation.
Loss Prevention and Maintenance Tips:
• Proper installation of the ice-maker supply line hose is crucial to circumventing water damage.
• Firmly connect the hose to the valve; but evade over tightening.
• Inspect the hose every six months. Ensure the valve connection is secure and check for kinks.
• If kinks are present, replace the hose.
• Leave a 3 to 4 inch space between the back of the refrigerator and the wall to avoid the hose from crimping.
• When pulling the refrigerator out for cleaning or service, keep away from getting the hose caught beneath the wheel.
• Find the water shut off valve.
• Inspect the valve every six months to make sure the water supply will shut off. Change the valve if required.